Chicks in skirts and high heels beat the traffic in Mexico
Green transport has got sassier in Mexico City as a group of what can only be described as 'chic chicas' have begun an urban cycling project. Cycling around in skirts, stockings and high heels, the Sassy Girls ("Insolentes") collective of young professional women want to show their fellow city dwellers can be fashionably attired as well as do good for the environment. Mexico City is ranked as one of the world's most air-polluted cities, with its ozone levels exceeding World Health Organization standards.
"We decided to give a solution to those people who had excuses for not getting on the bike: it's unsafe, it's sweaty, I'll cycle in my office clothes," says Laura Bustos, an economist and member of Sassy Girls. The project has spread to other Mexican cities Chiapas, Puebla and Aguascalientes.
While the club is open to both sexes, for the time being Sassy Girls are promoting biking for persons of the female persuasion.
"Many of our members are setting up specific city routes for girls to cycle," Bustos told Metro, whose short skirt doesn't prevent her from mounting her bike to travel around the financial heart of the city.
Laura Benhumea, who works for a multinational car sales company, founded the project last August, because "the idea brings to mind all the joys and benefits the bike has brought into our lives."
Like ons dan even op Facebook. Dat is zo gepiept!
- Heerenveen verrassende nummer drie, hoe kan dat?08:10
- Open dagen: ‘Bezoek er veel en stel ál je vragen’07:30
- Kadootje: een Turks paspoort07:15
- Win unieke kaarten voor Feyenoord - SC Heerenveen!00:58
- Hoe identiek is Joeps kloon eigenlijk?23:45
- Katholieke Kerk betaalde 30 miljoen smartengeld22:59
- Meisje schrijft brief voor autistisch broertje22:19
- Explosief materiaal21:09
- Xellisia (18) opent vondelingenkamer in Hoogvliet21:00
- Kabinet: Berechting daders MH17 mogelijk in NL20:39