Chicks in skirts and high heels beat the traffic in Mexico
Green transport has got sassier in Mexico City as a group of what can only be described as 'chic chicas' have begun an urban cycling project. Cycling around in skirts, stockings and high heels, the Sassy Girls ("Insolentes") collective of young professional women want to show their fellow city dwellers can be fashionably attired as well as do good for the environment. Mexico City is ranked as one of the world's most air-polluted cities, with its ozone levels exceeding World Health Organization standards.
"We decided to give a solution to those people who had excuses for not getting on the bike: it's unsafe, it's sweaty, I'll cycle in my office clothes," says Laura Bustos, an economist and member of Sassy Girls. The project has spread to other Mexican cities Chiapas, Puebla and Aguascalientes.
While the club is open to both sexes, for the time being Sassy Girls are promoting biking for persons of the female persuasion.
"Many of our members are setting up specific city routes for girls to cycle," Bustos told Metro, whose short skirt doesn't prevent her from mounting her bike to travel around the financial heart of the city.
Laura Benhumea, who works for a multinational car sales company, founded the project last August, because "the idea brings to mind all the joys and benefits the bike has brought into our lives."
Like ons dan even op Facebook. Dat is zo gepiept!
- Weduwe 9/11 klaagt Saudi-Arabië aan om steun kapers23:04
- Rusland roept Nederlandse ambassadeur op het matje22:49
- 'Trump had wel problemen met geluid tijdens debat' 22:19
- Uitreiking Gouden Kalveren: de winnaars in beeld21:38
- Gemeenten gaan experimenteren met bijstand21:09
- Romy Monteiro tekent platencontract bij 8Ball Music20:54
- Tweeling krijgt erepenning voor hulp bevalling mama20:09
- Vrachtwagen rijdt in op file A7, minstens een dode19:24
- Trump gooit sekstape Machado in verkiezingsstrijd19:14
- Salah Abdeslam overladen met liefdesbrieven18:24