Picasso in Silicon Valley
The other day Ryan Germick and his colleagues sat down in the California sunshine fantasized about materials they’ d never worked with. “Dirt” said one, and the others agreed that he should try it.
Germick and his friends work at Google. In fact, these idiosyncratic artists’ output is what most people associate with Google. They’re the Google doodles teams, the artists who design the quirky pictures around Google's search box. “Doodles are a way to humanize Google”, says Germick, a 31-year-old former illustrator. “And it’s a way to surprise people when they visit the homepage.” The first doodle appeared on Bastille Day, July 14, 2000.
Though Google's motto is "do no evil", the doodles aren't just there for users’ aesthetic satisfaction. According to one estimate, the doodles add 15% to Google’s brand value.
A doodle usually originates in a brainstorming session that yielded the dirt doodle. Germick’s team of six former artists, children’s book illustrators, and graphic designers individually develop ideas, which they collectively evaluate. Where does Germick get his inspiration? "I read Popeye [a carton magazine], and right now I'm reading illustrated fairy tales and a book of propaganda posters", he explains. "I also read a lot of comics. The San Francisco library is a great resource!"
Other Google employees suggest topics as well, as do users. “We try to find an unexpected angle”, explains Germick. “Say we wanted to do a Johann Sebastian Bach doodle. We'd research which books he liked and which artists he was interested in.” Germick’ s Charlie Chaplin doodle even resulted in a short film.
Though Google now sells its doodles -- even on canvas -- the art probably won't land in any prestigious art museums. “I know the doodles are a temporal thing”, says Germick. “But we just want to make people happy. It's like putting a cent in one million people's pockets.”
Like ons dan even op Facebook. Dat is zo gepiept!
- Duizenden Canadezen roken wiet voor parlementsgebouw21:33
- Deze slang weet zich voortreffelijk te camoufleren18:00
- Vijf Nederlandse films waar we nu al zin in hebben18:00
- Feyenoord kampioensfeest in Kuip, huldiging maandag18:00
- Koningsdag over de grens vieren kan in genoeg steden17:44
- Oordoppen mee naar festival: gedoe of niet?16:55
- Sint-jakobsschelpen met warme maissalade16:15
- Bier in de supermarkt is veel te goedkoop15:00
- Lintjesregen: ook Henk Schiffmacher speldt er een op13:39
- Koningsdag in Amsterdam: goed om even te weten13:13
top 10 kortingscodes
- Zalando kortingscode: 10% korting
- Ziggo actie: alles-in-1 voor €34,95
- Bol.com sale: 25% korting
- Forever 21 code: €15 korting
- New York Pizza coupon: 20% korting
- Zooplus kortingscode: €3 korting
- Bitdefender kortingscode: 40% ko...
- OnlineVerf code: €12,95 korting
- Rijksmuseum code: 5% korting
- Amac code: €50 korting op Macbooks